Thursday, July 26, 2007

Flash to Epic Word Count

The boundaries fluctuate, and everyone can find an example that violates these word ranges; however, in general:

1-500. Flash Fiction
501 - 2,000. Short Shorts
2001 - 20,000. Short Stories
20,001 - 50,000. Novella
50,001 - 100,000. Novel (If you're a first-time novelist, best to be between 60-90K.)
over 100K. Big novel (significant investment by the publisher)
150K+. Epic Novel (Think "Lord of the Rings", "Gone With The Wind")

I've gleaned this from the number of times this question has come up, various articles and conferences, and those self-help books that all writer's love. :-)

3 comments:

Anke said...

Hellow,
My name is Anke, I'm 18 years ols and come from Belgium. My English is not very well so I hoop you understand me. I came accidental on your blog, and then I saw tha tI liked the same music and films and stuff. Funny! So I just wanna say Hi!

Greets!
Anke

EditThis said...

It's quite a coincidence that I came across your website. After years of writing short fiction, I've decided to give the novel a shot and was just wondering this morning what length constitutes one. Thanks for the info!

Jasmine Dale said...

Great knowledge, do anyone mind merely reference back to it word counter